Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Restrepo: Exploration Seven

When Mike first told us we were watching a war documentary, I thought to myself, great this will be boring. Restrepo proved me wrong. One of the very first scenes when they arrived to Korengal Valley, was when they were in the middle of an explosion caused by a carside bomb. My cousin Casey is stationed in Iraq right now, and he rides on top of the humvee's. It really got my attention because, that could easily happen to him. What struck me most about the film was how dangerous the Korengal Valley was. Everyone hears about war and what goes on there. But to have actual footage is a completely different understanding.
"I called my mom and said one last I love you before we went." Captain Kearney said before they started Rock Avalanche. Not many soldiers get the chance to make one last phone call before they go to battle. The scene when Pemple and Cortez go out to find Sgt Rice and the other wounded soldiers is a scene i'll probably never forget. When they pull the jacket over Sgt. Ruegle's body. These men are on an emotional rollercoaster. One minute they can joke around and have a good time. Then the next they are in fire fights, adrenaline pumping and getting shot at. I would definitely recommend this movie to all my family and friends. Especially those who were in war. I've already watched it twice since Monday. I think it's important for people to see what actually goes on there. It's history. We need to know about the people fighting for our country. It definitely makes the scenes from The Things They Carried, come to life.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on how the men seemed to be on an emotional roller coaster. It is so sad to see all that they have to go through. The video could be compared to The Things They Carried very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy the quote you picked because it seems to capture a lot of the fear that is prevalent throughout the film. It seems to me that having to say goodbye to his family every time he went into battle was a blessing and a curse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing about this being a documentary and being boring. Fortunately this turned out to be the best documentary I have watched.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good that you can connect the film and book together! I know, I thought the same thing when he told us we were watching a film on war. The film definitely was interesting to me though and made me realize what kind of things could happen to my brother!

    ReplyDelete