Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Civil Rights Make Up Work

"Project C" was the plan devised by Martin Luther King Jr. and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference to challenge Birmingham, Alabama's system of segregation. They planned to confront segregation through peaceful demonstrations, rallies, protests and appeals to justice. They suspected that the actions of Birmingham Police Commissioner Bull Connor would be violent and that this would attract national attention and create public sympathy for the movement. This was reasoned correctly, Bull Connor used police dogs and fire hoses to disperse the demonstrators. Martin Luther King Jr. was arrested by the Birmingham police after telling his staff , "Look, I don't know what to do. I just know that something has got to change in Birmingham. I don't know whether I can raise money to get people out of jail. I do know that I can go into jail with them." It was while he was in jail that he wrote the influential piece "Letter from Birmingham Jail".

To learn more visit:
http://faculty.smu.edu/dsimon/Change-Civ%20Rts.html
http://www.watson.org/~lisa/blackhistory/civilrights-55-65/birming.html

No comments:

Post a Comment