Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Exploration Three

My name is Ryley Mercer. I am 18 years old and I am from small country school with a graduating class of only 75 students. I graduated in the top 10% of my class and was involved with many extra curricular activities. I have one younger sister who is 13 years old. I drive about 45-50 minutes to get to OSU Marion and am majoring in Middle Childhood Education.
I want to teach mathematics and history. I might eventually go back to school to either teach special education, become a speech therapist, or possibly even become a guidance counselor in the public school system.
" I write, therefore, to drag into the light what eats at me- the fear, the guilt, the shame- so that my own children may be spared." The essay by Sanders was very deep and personal. He confessed in writing what his whole family hid and was ashamed of for years. Sanders wanted to to keep his children from having the griefs in their minds like he did. I just was amazed that in order to do this he felt he had to be open and share about his father. Sander was so detailed and open about his family's hardships, despise the fact of being judge. This essay could have created emotional distress for his mother, sister, or brother yet he still wrote it and made the world aware of the effects of alcoholism.

No comments:

Post a Comment